Let’s acknowledge that oily skin can be troublesome! Especially in the hot humid weather a shiny face is tough to control. A good serum for oily skin can be a great aid to control the shine on your face. Serums are not magic potions that eradicate the oil completely overnight, but the right serum can work like magic on acne-prone skins.
This oil is actually the sebum produced by sebaceous glands underneath your skin. Sebum is necessary as it moisturizes the skin and protects you from harmful dust, sunlight, and even germs. But too much oil causes pimples, pores, and blackheads leaving dark spots on your skin.
Moisturizing creams increase the chance of clogging skin pores whereas serums are thin. The serum makes your skin feel light and moisturized. It penetrates into the skin to reduce the sebum production in your skin as well.
Best Serums for Oily Skin Type
5 Best Serums for Oily Skin Review 2022
- 1.0-fluid ounces of Neutrogena Shine Control Matte Booster Face Primer & Serum with rice protein to absorb excess oil and leave a mattified finish on skin
- Wear this nourishing facial primer before applying makeup to help prep skin and create a smooth, matte surface for makeup application
- Can also be used alone as a mattifying serum to help leave skin shine-free while looking and feeling healthier
- Formulated with rice protein, which acts like a sponge to absorb excess oil, so skin stays shine-free and fresh-looking
- Skin-boosting serum to primer hybrid helps to bridge the gap between skincare and makeup with versatile two-in-one benefits
Neutrogena is one of the most reliable brands recommended by dermatologists. Its serum cum primer can be the best budget-friendly choice for oily skin type. Costing under $20, this product gives you a full-day shine-free skin. It can be used as a base for makeup foundation for your skin as well.
Rice protein is the main ingredient of this product. It absorbs excess oil from your skin. Use it regularly in the morning after cleansing and toning the skin for the best result. This
Considerations: You have to use it for a long time to get the best result out of this product.
- Minimizes Surface Shine, Refines Pores, And Visibly Tightens The Skin For A Perfect Matte Finish.
- Formulated With Mychelle's Exclusive Nature Clear Complex-A Combination Of Dermasyr Lilac Stem Cells, Yogurtene (A Prebiotic), Grape Stem Cells, And Aloes In For A Perfect Oil-Free, Matte Finish.
- Use alone or under make-up to help blur the appearance of fine lines and imperfections for a more even skin tone and texture.
- Apply two pumps after cleansing; serums may be layered for multiple benefits, then follow with your favorite moisturizer.
- Vegetarian; made without GMO, Gluten, Parabens, Petroleum, Phthalates, Silicones, Sulfates, Ureas, Artificial Fragrances, and Artificial Colors. Cruelty-free.
Mychelle’s Clear skin serum is considered one of the best serums for oily skin, and recommended by many dermatologists. Its botanical ingredients fight acnes, removes pores and oils, and smooths skin texture. It’s mostly used for sensitive skins. It can be used as a makeup base as well. Mychelle is free from irritant chemicals like fragrances and colorants.
MyChelle is advised for its natural ingredients including witch hazel, willow bark, and tea tree extract, retinol and niacinamide. Use it in the morning and at night before sleeping after cleansing your skin for the best result.
Considerations: Mychelle is not purely vegan as it contains yogurt extract.
- ANTI-AGING SERUM: With pore-refining salicylic acid (BHA), radiance-boosting vitamin C, and brightening azelaic acid, along with pollutant-neutralizing antioxidants, this ultra-lightweight fluid provides multi-level defense against environmental damage & pollution.
- Paula's Choice DEFENSE collection was created to address the specific needs of skin is exposed to environmental stressors such as smog, small particulate matter, car exhaust, cigarette smoke, and blue light from digital devices
- Combat pore congestion caused by skin-dulling pollutants & build-up by applying the DEFENSE Antioxidant Pore Purifier twice daily after cleansing, toning, and exfoliating. Be sure to finish with SPF 30 or greater for daytime wear.
- Paula's Choice products are made with YOUR SKIN in mind. Whatever your skincare concern, whether dryness, acne, fine lines, or sensitive skin; we've got a treatment line for you. The search for amazing skin care ends here. Finally, you found it.
- Paula's Choice Skincare makes products that work. No fragrance, no parabens, no fluff. Just effective, science-backed formulas that target any concern from wrinkles to breakouts.
This Antioxidant Pore Purifier serum is a good choice for highly oily skin. Most reviews of this product say it is lightweight and non-sticky. This serum penetrates deeper into the skin, brightens, and dries your skin. This is also working as anti-wrinkles.
Azelaic acid, niacinamide, vitamin C, and salicylic acid are the main ingredients of Paula’s choice. Together they brighten skin, refine pores, and improve skin texture. Apply it twice a day for the best result. Use it after cleansing and toning the skin. When going out, use a heavy sunscreen with this serum to protect the skin from dryness. It also helps to remove dark spots and wrinkles.
Considerations: The use of sunscreen can make you feel sticky. For people who prefer fewer ingredients in beauty products, it may cause disinclination in buying. This is suitable for dry skin type aslo.
***The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%
- To shrink pores and help with oily skin
- Vita-12 Nanosome
- Apply a couple of drops onto clean hands and spread across the face and neck. Follow up with a serum and/or cream
TONYMOLY Vital Vita 12 Poresol Ampoule is the best pore cleansing serum for Korean beauty products lovers. This serum cleans clogged pores and reduces excess sebum from skins.
Main ingredients include lactic acid, salicylic acid, tea tree oil, niacinamide, vitamin H, panthenol, and sodium hyaluronate. These ingredients are helpful for an even-tone complexion. Another interesting fact is that this product costs under $20. Apply a couple of drops to the face and neck as desired daily at night for the best result.
Considerations: It is a bit smelly that some reviewers complained about.
- Clinically tested and proven to improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in just 3 minutes; and dark spots in 8 weeks.
- Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for instant glow and radiance
- Multi-tasking, targeted lactic acid treatment rapidly exfoliates and boosts naturally youthful radiance, while visibly reducing the look of lines, wrinkles and dark spots
- Cruelty-Free, Sulfate-Free, Paraben-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Phthalate-Free, Fragrance-Free, Vegan
One of the all time critic favorite serums for oily skins is Sunday Riley Good Genes serum. This iconic skin care product successfully exfoliates your skin better than most other serums out there.
Main ingredients are lactic acid, some other botanical ingredients like prickly pear, licorice root extracts, and lady’s slipper orchid extracts purify and brighten the skin. Apply 1 to 3 pumps daily at night, then wash after 15 mins of the application for the best result.
Considerations: Very high pricey; may cause itchiness to sensitive skins.
Tips to Apply Serum on Oily Skins
Serums are lightweight. They penetrate deep into the skin. But the oily acne-prone skins are rub on the skin to absorb the serum properly. Cleanse the skin and exfoliate dirt, debris, and dead skin cells before using these serums. If you don’t remove the layer of dust and dirt from your skin, it may not be absorbed properly. So, cleanse your skin first, then apply the serum according to its manual. Finally apply moisturizers for long-term effect. Use sunblocks when you are about to go outside from home. Everyone should have a proper skincare routine.
Factors to Consider while Choosing the Right Serum
Sometimes issues like uncontrolled diet, lifestyle, or excessive use of makeup aid oil production in your skin. Using the right serum for a certain period shapes your skin to get a better complexion. We’ve researched to find the key measures that you should consider for choosing the perfect serum for your skin:
Active ingredients: Ingredients should be the first concern when you’re using something on your skin. Ingredients like Vitamin C, Hyaluronic acid, Salicylic acid, Glycerin, Niacinamide, and Lactic acid put a significant impact on oily skin. Vitamin C is an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and healing agent. It protects the skin from damage and brightens skin.
Hyaluronic acid is an ultra-lightweight substance that hydrates your skin without greasiness. This works as an anti-aging agent as well. Salicylic acid eradicates uneven skin tone and excessive oil by killing bacteria. Glycerin promotes elasticity and smoothness by adding moisture to your skin. Niacinamide increases keratin production to keep skin healthy. Lactic acid aids exfoliation, and pore shrinkage. Artificial preservatives and fragrances should be avoided to safeguard skin from side-effects like an allergy.
User Reviews: Users know the best! Reviews from real users can give you a clear idea about the effectiveness of these products.
Dermatologist’s Advice: Expert advice is necessary for getting the best out of your serum. Look for products that are recommended by dermatologists.
Price: You can always buy good quality products within your budget. You should keep a balance between quality and price. No need to go for a price out of your reach to seek the best product in the market, don’t compromise the quality searching for the cheapest product for your skin either.
You should already understand which factors to consider for the right serum for your skin. Here’s a list of the 5 best serums for skins we’ve prepared for you: